When should my auto air conditioning system be checked?
Each year prior to the warm weather months – or – any time it isn’t working to your satisfaction, bring it in for an A/C System Check.
What is included in the Auto Air Conditioning System Service?
- A/C Performance System Check
- A/C System Inspection
Are there environmental concerns with Air Conditioning?
Because the refrigerant used in some air conditioning systems is considered harmful to the environment, it is important that it not be allowed to escape during servicing. We begin each air conditioning service with a leak detection test. Our technicians use a sealed, environmentally friendly process that captures the refrigerant, cleans it, replenishes it and returns it to your vehicle’s air conditioning system good as new.
What if my vehicle still uses freon?
Auto air conditioning systems built before 1995 use the refrigerant R-12 or (CFC-12), also referred to as Freon. The EPA determined that Freon was destroying the ozone layer and in 1995, all production ceased. Freon is now extremely expensive and difficult to find. PTAC offers a retrofit service that enables your A/C system to use the inexpensive R-134a refrigerant. The retrofit pays for itself in the cost savings on the refrigerant.
What does the retrofit service include?
- All retrofits are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Different vehicles may require slightly different procedures.
- We evacuate all R-12 and most of the existing refrigerant oils from the air conditioning system.
- In some instances, certain parts, such as the O-rings, hoses, accumulator or receiver/dryer, must be replaced to assure compatibility with R-134a.
- In addition, special fittings and labels must be placed on the vehicle to properly identify that it has been retrofitted.
This is required by law and is a mandatory part of any air conditioning retrofit procedure.
This service, like all services performed at Tony’s Auto Repair, is advised based on your manufacturer’s recommendations, or as needed as determined by our inspection and based on industry standards.